Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

The Pumpkin Shirt


This morning I found myself longing for the days before Caden could talk.....I did not want him to have an opinion unless it agreed with mine! I admit, it was not my finest hour.
All I wanted was for Caden to wear the pumpkin shirt that I made him last year to school today. We talked about it all week and set the shirt (it's long-sleeved) out for today since it was supposed to be getting cold. He LOVED wearing the shirts I appliqued for him last year, but apparently they aren't cool anymore. Or he just didn't want to wear it to school today, I'm not sure. He told me that he could wear it on "Mommy/Caden day".
For those of you wondering what Mommy/Caden day is, it's Monday.
I'm off so Caden gets to stay home or do whatever I'm doing. It's just the two of us, hence the name "Mommy/Caden day". Anyway, I told him that he was wearing the pumpkin shirt, that he got to pick his clothes every day and Mommy wanted to have a turn today. That didn't work! He started crying big tears and I got mad. I'm slamming around the kitchen fuming to myself while fixing my coffee, and he's laying on the couch crying. I eventually yell at him to stop and dry it up. Then I'm even more mad because now not only am I mad at him, I'm mad at myself. Please tell me I'm not the only one who's done this!? Anyone?
I mumbled to myself, "It's just a stupid shirt! Give me a break and just wear the d*** thing!" And then I felt shamed. Yes, it is just a stupid shirt and he's three! Get over yourself, Arsella and put on your big girl panties!  I was being convicted. Okay Lord...
So I called him into the kitchen apologized for yelling and then made him a deal. He had to let me take some pictures of him in the pumpkin shirt to show everyone and then he could take it off and pick another shirt for school. So here he is, my sweet albeit rotten boy in his pumpkin shirt...and his dog, "Slimy".

No comments:

Post a Comment