Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

what's for supper? leftover veggie soup

Jamie eats at Quarter Back Club on Monday nights so I try to cook something that he won't be sad to miss. I have chicken lasagna roll ups and mexican chicken casserole on the menu for this week, but I didn't want to make either of those without him. So I was standing in front of the fridge/freezer trying to come up with a good meal idea and it came to me....leftover veggie soup.
I was reading a blog or Facebook or something several moths ago and saw a clever idea. It was one of those moments where I thought, "Duh! Why have I not thought of this before?" It said to freeze leftover vegetables to make veggie soup. We have leftover veggies a lot at our house. I can't get Caden to eat vegetables for anything and Jamie isn't fond of much more than corn and green beans. I, on the other hand, am a veggie lover, but I'm not always a leftover veggie lover. So in the past most of the leftover veggies sat in the fridge until I threw them away. Now, they go into a freezer bag instead of into the fridge.
I started a gallon size bag, but I only filled about a third of it. I think a quart sized bag would be plenty for our family. I started my bag with leftover hormel pork roast. I bought one that was roast flavored when they were BOGO at Winn Dixie. I cooked it in the crock pot with some chicken broth and it was super salty!! It was a definite fail, but I figured it might be salvageable in some soup. I added green beans, corn, and butter peas to the bag from several different suppers. Tonight I used that bag. I started with a sautéed onion then dumped in the leftovers. I added a few things from the pantry: diced tomatoes, mushrooms, and beef broth. I added a couple cups of water and some tony chachere's creole seasoning. I added a little pepper too. Bring it all to a boil then simmer for a little bit (20 min at least). It turned out really good! I can't wait to have this again. I served it with 7up Biscuits. Yummy!

1 comment:

  1. Good job coming up with that Arsella! You're a real cook:). Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete