Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween Party

We don't celebrate Halloween....never have. I've never been trick-or-treating, and I turned out okay. We just don't believe that Halloween and what it stands for is something to be celebrated. I do however LOVE fall and pumpkins and I think that's something to celebrate. I don't want Caden to miss out on the fun of the season so we do fall festivals and I let him dress up. We just don't do anything scary and "halloweenish". He was a cowboy this year. I want him to participate as much as possible so that he's not alienated, without compromising our beliefs. I understand that most people don't have the same convictions we do.
One of the things we are trying to figure out is how much to explain to a three year old. I don't want him to know about ghosts and witches and demonic things. I want him to be innocent and carefree for as long as possible. I believe that those things really do exist and I don't think it's all fun and games. So for now we just don't talk about Halloween; we just talk about fall and the fun of the season. When anything that we don't participate in comes up, I just tell him that we don't play that because it's not very nice.That's okay right now, but I'm sure we'll have to explain a little more about why we believe the way we do next year. He's getting very inquisitive....
I took him to his daycare for their halloween party. We took slimy wormy jello cups for the party and gave out robots for the favors. I took home all of his goody bags filled with halloween treats and just trashed all the things I didn't want him to have. He's still young enough that I can get away with that. Here's a few photos from his class:

This is Caden's pumpkin. All of the kids help decorate pumpkins/jack-o-lanterns at school the week of Halloween. They are so sweet to help Caden decorate his pumpkin with something he loves so he doesn't get left out of the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment